In commemoration of the 450th anniversary of the founding of the City of Manila and in observance of the Year of Filipino Pre-Colonial Ancestors, the Department of Tourism, Culture and Arts of Manila, in partnership with the National Quincentennial Committee, National Historical Commission of the Philippines, and Intramuros Administration, launches the Araw ng Maynila Lecture Series Online.
1. “The First Resistance Against Spanish Invasion of Luzon” by Ian Christopher Alfonso of the National Historical Commission of the Philippines on 3 June 2021, 1pm
2. “Ang Kamatayan ng Bayaning Walang Pangalan, ang Pagsibol ng Isang Lungsod” by Michael Charleston Chua of the De La Salle University History Department on 5 June 2021, 1p,
3. “Manila’s Historic Sites and Structures in the Survey Files of the National Historical Commission of the Philippines” by Gerwill Cruz of the National Historical Commission of the Philippines on 11 June 2021, 1pm
4. “Manila: The Rise of Ciudad Murada from Lumang Maynila” by Jose Victor Torres of the De La Salle University History Department on 24 June 2021, 10am
5. “Manila in the Past Tense” by Ambeth Ocampo of the Ateneo de Manila University History Department on 24 June 2021, 1pm
These lecturers can be watched for free live at DTCAM’s page, and simultaneously viewed via NQC, NHCP, DepED, NCCA, and DFA pages.
Background Image: Botong Francisco’s History of Manila (1968), National Museum of the Philippines | Xiao Chua; Nilad from Manuel Blanco’s Flora de Filipinas, courtesy of the CSIC Real Jardín Botánico; Manila merlion from Biblioteca Nacional de España; /M/ and baybayin /ni/ from Doctrina Christiana, courtesy of the U.S. Library of Congress; Fort Santiago from Wikimedia Commons; Luzon noble lady, from the Boxer Codex, IU The Lilly Library.