The restored shrine inside Fort Santiago houses Rizaliana items in memory of the Philippine national hero Dr. Jose Rizal spent his last few days here before he was executed on December 30, 1896. Among the objects exhibited are various books and manuscripts about the national hero; sketches, paintings, wood curvings and sculptures done by the hero; paraphernalia and souvenirs acquired during his several trips abroad and collections of colonial-style furnitures from his hometown in Calamba, Laguna.
Considered the finest harbor in the far east where the famous ‘Battle of Manila Bay’ was fought between the Americans and the Spaniards in 1898. Many historians believed that the Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade between Philippines and Mexico, principally because of the strategic location of Manila Bay. The Galleon Trade lasted for 244 years.
Named after one of the old barrios of Intramuros, this is a cultural-cum-commercial complex currently composed of five houses – Casa Manila, Casa Urdaneta, Casa Blanca, Los Hidalgos and El Hogar Filipino. Plaza San Luis will eventually consist of 9 houses representing different areas in Filipino/Hispanic architecture. Aside from gift and specialty shops, the complex has a museum at Casa Manila, containing the 19th century and early 20th century furnitures found in a typical filipino illustrado or the priviledged class home.
Apolinario Mabini, the intellectual leader of the Philippine revolution, lived in this house as a law student, a lawyer and worker who advocated Philippine Independence from Spain. During the American occupation, it was much frequented by foreign correspondents who found Mabini both interesting and informative and become the intellectual headquarters of the first Philippine Republic.
Built to pay homage to our great hero Gat. Andres Bonifacio whose courage and conviction in fighting for freedom & independence serve as an inspiration for the youth.
The seat of the Catholic Archdiocese of Manila, is presently the 6th cathedral to rise on the site since 1581. Previous structures were destroyed by typhoons, earthquake and fire during the last war. Rebuilt on the second half of the 50’s through the efforts of Architect Fernando Ocampo and Archbishop Rufino J. Santos. The cathedral incorporated the stone carvings and rosette windows of the old cathedral. Stained glass windows celebrating the Christianization of the Philippine light up with its clerestory. Mosaic artwork decorated three of its side chapels.
Quiapo Church, also known as the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene, is the site of the annual January Black Nazarene procession. One of Manila’s most famous churches, Quiapo Church gets very crowded every Friday when thousands of devotees come to light a candle in supplication to the Black Nazarene, a life-size image of Christ believed to be miraculous. The present cream-colored edifice was built after the original Mexican Baroque structure burned to the ground in 1928. Quiapo is also famous for the Black Nazarene. The Feast Day of the Black Nazarene (also known as Quiapo Day) is celebrated every January 9th.
The San Agustin Church and Museum which is a private museum under the supervision of the Augustinian Friars is housed inside the Old Monastery of the church. The collections include 26 huge oil paintings of saints, the Don Luis Araneta Collection of Antiques, the crypt where Philippine Notables are buried, leads to the refractory with its fine collection of colonial religious art, the Capitulation room where the Spanish surrendered to the Americans in 1898, the Sacristy which house antique carrosas, richly embroidered vestments, a wonderful Saint Michael and famous choir hand carved from Molave wood that dates back to 1614.
Seat of the head of the Government of the Philippines since Spanish times, officially stands on the north bank of the Pasig River whose legendary beauty celebrated in song. Malacañang, from the vernacular ‘May Lakan Diyan’ meaning ‘There lives a noble man’, expansion of the city’s free educational system and health care delivery and maintenance of the city government’s strong financial position through intensified revenue generation and judicious fiscal management. City executives, councilors, civil servants and peace officer unite to achieve the vision of peace and good quality of life for its people.
Marks its entrance on the northwestern trip to Instramuros which started in 1571 and completed nearly 150 years later by Filipino forced labor. The pre-Spanish settlement of Rajah Sulayman was a wooden fort on the ashes of which was built the Spanish fortress which was Spain’s major defense position in the island. It looked out on the sea, towards which its canons were trained forward off pirates and invaders. Also known as the ‘Shrine of Freedom’, in memory of the heroic Filipinos imprisoned and killed here during the Spanish and Japanese eras. Partly rebuilt from the ruins of World War II, it is now a park and promenade housing a resident theaters for both traditional and modern plays.
The Chinatown which is located along the northern bank of the historic Pasig River symbolizes the long history of the Chinese presence in the Philippines long before the arrival of the Spaniards. The Chinese had been much involved in the business specially the retail trade and have been absorbed in a Philippine life-style.
Originally known as ‘Lagyo’. In 1951, a chapel was constructed for Nuestra Señora de Guia. A Mexican hermit arrived in the place, lived in the chapel, and people called it as ‘La Ermita’. Ermita was a fishing village prior to arrival of the Spaniards that moved out of Intramuros and integrated with the Indios in Ermita and adjacent Malate and to a lesser extent, Paco. These became a fashionable residential areas in the Spanish era up to the American era.
Manila City Hall
The house of the seat of the City Mayor
The first building was built in 1904 made of wood under the administration of the late Honorable Arsenio Cruz Herrera
The present building was built and inaugurated last August 19, 1941 by the late Honorable Eulogio Rodriguez
The Manila City Hall building was destroyed in the war last February 1945 and was rebuild last 1946 during the American regime under Philippine Rehabilitation Act 1946
The clock was unveiled in 1930s
The clock tower, also designed by Antonio Toledo which was completed during the 1930s is the largest clock tower in the Philippines. It stands out during night time when the whole of the tower lights up. It has now become the icon for the city of Manila.
The City’s Official Seal
The shield on which the various images are emblazoned and which carry the nations colors signifies the valor, the blood and the idealism with which Manila’s forcers fought against invasion.
The six stars represent the six congressional districts into which the city is divided and governed the circle.
The beautiful pearl embedded in the shell symbolizes the character of Manila, a city that has transformed to hundred divergent cultures collected over the centuries from nationalities who landed on her shore into something essentially Filipino.
The sea lion, en garde, stands for the authority of the City Government – protective and defensive of Manila’s people & territory.
The waves of alternating azure and argent portray the Pasig River – a most important landmark whose length and path throughout the city chronicle the beginnings and the progress of Manila’s commerce & industry.