Estrada comes to the aid of Parola fire victims

Daily Tribune | Written by Pat C. Santos | February 9, 2017

Victims of the fire that hit Parola Compund in Tondo, Manila last Tuesday night and left 3,000 families homeless, can now heave a sigh of relief as the city government led by Mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada immediately gave assistance to them and sufficiently provided their basic needs.

“I have ordered all the service-oriented departments of the city to help the victims of the fire. Magbibigay tayo ng mga construction materials at magkakaroon ng ‘bayanihan’ sa pagtatayo ng mga nasirang bahay sa pangunguna ng Engineering Department. Dahil alam niyo naman na malapit sa akin ang mga residente ng Tondo dahil sa pagsuporta nila sa akin mula pa noong ako ay nag-a-artista pa,” Estrada said.

He assured the victims the city government will provide whatever they need so they could rebuild their homes and start a new life again.

“Kailangan natin masiguro na nasa mabuti silang kalagayan at naibibigay nang sapat ang kanilang basic needs,” he added.

Estrada immediately mobilized personnel from the Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (MDRRMO), Manila Department of Social Welfare (MDSW) and Manila Health Department to ensure the prompt evacuation of the victims and the treatment of those injured in the incident.

He directly contacted MDSW chief Nanet Tanyag to rush to Parola and help the victims.

“Ang MDRRMO acted as part of the incident management team last night. We supported the BFP (Bureau of Fire Protection) in fire management. Initial evacuation plans and procedures were implemented. Evacuation centers were opened and coordinated all necessary activities with different departments,” MDRRMO chief Johnny Yu said.

“All forces were mobilized: evacuation, food, health and security,” Tanyag added.
There is a 24-hour medical team at Del Pan evacuation center where the victims were temporarily moved.

According to BFP, the fire started around 9 p.m. and some 1,000 houses made of light materials were razed.

Firefighters had difficulty getting through the narrow alleyways, causing their operation to drag on. The fire was put out at 7:24 a.m. Wednesday.