Erap releases P24-M budget to boost Manila disaster mitigation measures
The Daily Tribune| Written by: Tribune Wires| November 14, 2016
Concerned with the susceptibility of many barangays in Manila to strong typhoons following the onslaught of typhoons “Karen” and “Lawin,” Mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada has released another P24.05 million in funds to help high-risk barangays boost their disaster mitigation measures.
In a simple ceremony at the Manila City Hall, Estrada said the amount represents the supplemental budget for this year of an initial batch of 38 barangays, which they can use to conduct drainage declogging operations and training their own rescue volunteers.
“At times likes, the barangays need more support from the city government. They are the first responders when disasters and calamities strike. I hope they’ll use it well,” Estrada said.
He called on the barangay officials to regularly update their respective Barangay Disaster Risk Reduction Management Plan with the main objective of saving the lives and properties of the community residents during calamities.
Of the P24.05 million distributed to the 38 barangays from District 1 to 6, some received as high as P9.9 million as supplemental budget.
While flooding in Manila has drastically been reduced as a result of the city government’s successive anti-flood projects, Estrada said many barangays remain flood-prone.
According to a recent study conducted by the University of the Philippines-School of Urban and Regional Planning, 620 barangays in Tondo, Sta. Cruz, Malate, Sampaloc, Paco, Quiapo, Binondo, Pandacan, Intramuros, Ermita, Port Area near Pasig River and its tributaries are at “High Flood Risk.”
The capital city has 896 barangays.
Only last month, Estrada released P200 million to help protect the city’s 896 barangays from possible terror attacks following the deadly bombing in Davao City.